13/04/2012

DIY - Laundry Bag

When I was doing work experience last year, I was pretty much strapped for cash all the time. Other than not having any money for clothes :) I always felt bad on friends birthdays as I couldn't give them much, which is when I started to make presents instead.
And actually from what I could tell they appreciated and liked my gift far more than if I had just bought something (though they could have been lying so as to not hurt my feelings). 

At first I started making calendars but I also ventured into printing. 
I bought a few cheap cotton laundry and make up bags from Bee Crafty and some photo printing paper and then just let my imagination run wild.


One of my friends is a dancer so I did a ballet theme make up bag and another had done a lot of travelling so I created a postcard style print creating the stamps from her images from travelling (above).

Stupidly though I forgot to take pictures of the finished products but I had two more friends birthdays coming up and actually remembered to take some photos.



The first one was for my friend who loves New York. I took a couple of her images from FaceBook and played around with them on Photoshop to create a print for the front and a collage for the back (above). 

The second one was my first attempt at using the laundry bags, which I found harder to design for as I couldn't initially find a theme that would work with the space and colour of the bag. 
I settled on using her favourite colour as the basis then created a dreamcatcher (using Photoshop again) and then found a drawing of a girl which I played around with so it matched the colour scheme and then just added a few buttons around the edge just to add a bit of detail. 



The pictures are a bit naff but it was the best I could do in a rush but overall I was pleased with the final result. I'd like to find somewhere that did relatively inexpensive screen printing as the only downside to the printing paper I used is that it came off in the corners. The best one I've used so far is from Crafty Computer Paper but I think they would look seamless if I'd used a screen printing process.
Well least i'll know if I ever go into business :)


No comments:

Post a Comment